What kind of a physician specialist is most likely to be able to treat peripheral neuropathy ???

Updated: Sunday, August 24, 2014 05:53:04 PM

How can I find one???

To find a specialist in your area, call one of the associations listed below. Also look in the yellow pages of your phone book for "physicians," and then under the specialty. Before going, ask if that particular physician specializes in pain relief from peripheral neuropathy, as physicians have specialties within their specialty. Another way to find a specialist is to contact the American Medical Association at 314-464-5000 or and ask them for a specialist.

Pain management specialists are the most likely candidates to help. These are sometimes anesthesiologists (the physicians who give anesthesia during surgery).

Neurologists specialize in diseases of the nerves. Their professional organization is the American Academy of Neurology at 800-879-1960 or .

Physiatrists restore function of a body part. Their professional association is the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at 312-464-9700 or .

Treatment at a comprehensive pain management center may be advisable depending on the severity of your particular neuropathy. Many of the larger medical centers, medical schools, and/or comprehensive cancer centers have comprehensive pain management treatment centers.

Oncologists have varying degrees of experience with neuropathy and so may or may not be able to help.

People who suffer from peripheral neuropathy and other forms of chronic pain often develop depression, anxiety, and fatigue. Health care professionals, medications, and activities can help eliminate or limit the impact of these conditions. Take active steps to address these additional challenges.

The Neuropathy Association provides patient support and education, advocate for patient's interests, and promotes research into the cause and cure of neuropathy from any cause. (Most information is related to diabetes-caused neuropathy.) Membership is free, by donation. Write to: 60 E 42nd St., Ste. 942, New York City, NY, 10165-0999 or call 1-800-247-6968. On web site  with the best information under "Member Services." You must register to access this information, but it is free to register. Also, there is a bulletin board and a list of treatment centers. This organization also has many local chapters or support groups.

back  RETURN

Contact Webmaster